I teach programming, computer systems, electronics, and robotsics classes in various capacities.
CCA minor in Computational Practices, a new minor program for students of all majors at California College of the Arts. The minor consists of a three-course technical sequence Computational Practices 1 and 2, and Computational & Studio Practice. These hands-on workshop-style courses introduce basic programming concepts and provide students a venue for completing substantial self-conceived and -directed projects in a supportive environment. A major focus is direct instruction in what is typically tacit knowledge held by effective software engineers and learned primarily by observation: how to debug, how to always make progress ("get unstuck"), how to ask questions, how to identify and develop a nose for the information scent of easy-to-use, useful (vs. high-touch, challenging) libraries & communities, and how to question your own assumptions about programs and programming environments.
These courses rely on Rudy to introduce programming.
Programming & Electronics, a 15-week course for Interaction Design majors and others at CCA, focusing on p5.js and Arduino, and culminating in a final project that applies programming and electronics to students’ art and design practice. (This course was split into two and and incorporated into the Computational Practices minor.)
DES INV 23: Creative Programming & Electronics, an adaptation and extension of Programming & Electronics for Berkeley undergrads within the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation, with a greater emphasis on electronics and the final project reflecting the deeper engineering background typical of students taking courses at Jacobs.
- Workshop Weekend: Arduino, a weekend-long workshop focused on electronics, microcontroller programming, and the Arduino platform. If you're just getting started with Arduino, you may enjoy our set of introductory projects and labs.
- Programming Visual Media - A Processing class I taught with Ari Bader-Natal for the P2PU School of Webcraft’s inaugural session. Made heavy use of Ari’s EtherPad-based sketchpad.cc.
- Computer Networks from the Inside - A Splash and Workshop Weekend class about TCP/IP.
- Advanced Computer Networking - A Stanford Splash class in which we wrote a simple IM server.
- Interactive Digital Art - A Stanford Splash class teaching programming using the Processing programming environment.